What Happened To American Wrestler?

Publish date: 2024-05-03

What was Terry Funk health issue before death? He was diagnosed with dementia in 2021 and struggled with declining health for several years.

Terry Funk, an American professional wrestler, gained fame for his extraordinary career over five decades, featuring numerous short-lived retirements.

He notably revolutionized the hardcore wrestling style later in his career, contributing significantly to its influence.

Similarly, as one of the most exceptional wrestlers in history, Funk held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship for an impressive 14 months until Harley Race claimed his title.

Throughout his NWA tenure, he gradually embraced more hardcore wrestling bouts during the 1980s, a trend that quickly gained popularity and propelled Funk to worldwide wrestling stardom.

Funk was a larger-than-life figure in professional wrestling. He was known for his intensity, willingness to do anything in the ring, and love of the business.

He was a true pioneer of hardcore wrestling and will be remembered as one of the greatest professional wrestlers ever. Read on to know Terry Funk health issue before death.

Explore: Jan Shutan Cause Of Death Linked To Cancer: Obituary And Family

Terry Funk Health Issue Before Death: What Happened To American Wrestler?

Terry Funk had been struggling with declining health for several years before he died in 2023.

In 2019, his wife Vicki died after a long battle with cancer. Funk was said to be devastated by her death, and his health began to decline shortly after that.

By 2021, Funk was diagnosed with dementia, a condition known for causing a range of cognitive and memory challenges that hinder daily tasks and was living in an assisted living facility.

This ailment is believed to have arisen from a combination of factors, encompassing his advanced age, his history of concussions, and the stress endured throughout his wrestling career.

Nonetheless, on December 29, 2021, Ric Flair shared during his podcast with Mark Madden that Funk had returned to his residence and was in a favorable state of health.

It was reported that Funk had received a positive COVID test result. During February, Dustin Rhodes requested fans to keep Funk in their thoughts, mentioning that the hardcore luminary was experiencing significant discomfort.

Terry Funk Death Cause: How Did He Die?

On August 23, 2023, Terry Funk passed away at 79. Wrestling icon Mick Foley took to social media and shared, “Terry Funk is no longer with us. I just spoke with Terry’s daughter, Brandee, who delivered this devastating news.

Mick added, “he served as my mentor, my role model, and one of my closest companions. In my eyes, he stood as the finest wrestler I had ever witnessed.”

Further, “If you have the opportunity, seek out a Terry Funk match or listen to one of his promos, and express gratitude that this extraordinary individual dedicated so much of himself, over such an extended period, to touch the lives of so many.”

Funk’s death was a significant loss for the professional wrestling world. He was a true legend of the sport, and his legacy will live on for generations to come.

Inside Terry Funk Family

Terry Funk was born into a wrestling family. His father, Dory Funk Sr., was a professional wrestler and promoter. 

After World War II, the family moved to Amarillo, Texas. Terry and his brother, performing under the professional name Dory Jr., were nurtured within professional wrestling.

Following his high school graduation, Funk enrolled at “West Texas State University,” where he actively participated in amateur wrestling and football.

On the other hand, he married his wife, Vicky Ann, on August 14, 1965. Their union brought forth two daughters, namely Stacy and Brandee.

Throughout an extended period, the couple possessed a ranch located in Canyon, Texas, although they eventually divested of it.

Read More: Arend Lootma Death And Obituary: How Did The Longtime Native Die?

ncG1vNJzZmispqi1sMPSrZirq16YvK57056pq7Fdm8Kvt4yhnJqkpJ16qr%2FSrpxmmpWbvLOxjJ2cmqyYYsSprdNmn5qooJq7prCO