Josh Hamiltons Addiction and Temper Ruined His Relationship with Wife and Daughters

Publish date: 2024-05-05

At one point, former Texas Rangers star Josh Hamilton was one of the top performers during his playing career in Major League Baseball. 

He was the first-overall draft pick by Tampa Bay in 1999. But after dealing with injuries over his first few seasons and substance abuse, he finally made his major-league debut in 2007. And boy, what a comeback it was.

The Cincinnati Reds took a chance with the outfielder, but he was traded to the Texas Rangers after his rookie season.

During his first season, Hamilton hit .304 with 32 home runs, a league-leading 130 RBIs, and nine stolen bases. This earned him his first All-Star appearance and a Silver Slugger Award.

The outfielder earned five All-Star appearances by the time knee injuries prematurely ended his career in 2017. 

Unfortunately, it wasn’t just the injuries that affected his career. Hamilton was battling inner demons that ruined his relationship with his former wife and daughters. 

Josh Hamilton and His Wife Divorce after Rumors of Infidelity 

Hamilton’s struggles with drug addiction were widely documented, which began in 2001. 

His career was affected by multiple drug test failures and rehab stints. While seeking help, he met his mentor and businessman, Michael Chadwick. Michael introduced him to his daughter and the athlete's future wife, Katie Chadwick. 

The former couple started dating in 2002 and married two years later. And in 2015, after 11 extremely rocky years together, they filed for divorce.

Josh Hamilton and his former wife and daughters. (Source: Instagram)

In an interview with TMZ, Katie revealed she had been completely “blindsided” by her husband’s decision to file for divorce. 

“It came out of nowhere. There was no big fight or blow-up. Nothing sparked it. I’ve always stood by him, and will always stand by him. I support and love him now and down the road,” said Hamiltons' former wife. 

Years after the divorce, during an appearance on Marrying Millions, the reality star iterated her marriage ended because of Hamilton’s substance abuse issues and personal battles. She added she had no intention of getting a divorce.

Josh Hamilton Pleads Guilty to Assaulting His Daughter

Hamilton has three daughters with his former wife, and in 2019, he was arrested for child abuse after assaulting one of his daughters

According to his daughter’s statements, Hamilton allegedly threw a water bottle at her, which hit her in the chest, and cursed and yelled at her. 

He then picked her up, threw her over his shoulder, carried her to her bedroom, and threw her on the bed, pinning her face down. 

The former MLB athlete hit her legs with both an open hand and a fist. After that, he allegedly picked up her by her sweatshirt, pushed her back on the bed, and slapped her with his open hand on her back and legs, leaving multiple scratches on her back. 

The victim also claimed that Hamilton told her: “I hope you go in front of the [expletive] judge and tell him what a terrible dad I am, so I don’t have to see you anymore.”

Hamilton’s attorney released a statement denying the charges, but in February 2022, Hamilton pleaded guilty to the charges. 

ncG1vNJzZmign6G5usPOqJummaOge6S7zGinaKKfqLVutMCmoKWsn6N6uLXFnmSdmaWctbWx0axloaydoQ%3D%3D