Hezekiah Bernard death: Tragic Discovery: 12-Year-old found dead in dumpster in west Philadelphia

Publish date: 2024-05-09

In a heart-wrenching incident that has left the community in shock, the lifeless body of 12-year-old Hezekiah Bernard was uncovered in a dumpster in West Philadelphia on August 23. The gruesome discovery was made by a Philadelphia Housing Authority sanitation worker who accidentally overturned a plastic trash container. The container in question had reportedly been picked up on August 22 from Haddington Homes on the 5500 block of Cherry Street.

Authorities swiftly declared the case a homicide upon finding the young boy’s remains. An autopsy is currently underway to shed light on additional details surrounding Hezekiah Bernard’s tragic death.

As of now, law enforcement has not revealed the precise motive behind this heartbreaking loss. To pay tribute to the victim, a candlelight vigil was held on Friday.

Reports indicate that Hezekiah Bernard had been shot in the head, and his lifeless body was found wrapped in a blanket and plastic, as reported by Fox 29.

It wasn’t until Tuesday, August 29, that family members were able to identify the body. On Thursday, authorities officially confirmed the identity of the victim during a press conference.

Ernest Ransom, a staff inspector at the Philadelphia Police Department’s Homicide Unit, addressed the media during the press conference, stating, “Mr. Bernard was 12 years old. He was brutally killed and placed in a trash can. The focus is the apprehension of those involved in the senseless death.”

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Hezekiah Bernard is believed to have died approximately 24-36 hours before his body was discovered. Authorities have noted that while the victim had been in the custody of the Department of Human Services (DHS) previously, he was not under their care at the time of his alleged murder. Additionally, no reports of his disappearance had been filed in the weeks leading up to the tragic discovery.

POLICE IDENTIFY 12-YEAR-OLD FOUND DEAD IN WEST PHILADELPHIA DUMPSTER
Sources say the 12-year-old boy was shot in the head. He has been identified as Hezekiah Bernard. The discovery was made near the dumpsters on the 5500 block of Cherry Street.His death has been ruled a homicide. pic.twitter.com/QfmnIlVR7Q

— BGRbckuppage (@BGRbckuppage) August 31, 2023

The grieving family of the 12-year-old boy came together for a candlelight vigil on Friday, September 1, to remember Hezekiah Bernard, who leaves behind his parents and 14 siblings. His mother, Dolores Davis, tearfully expressed, “He was a baby. My only baby. My last baby. I love him. I will miss him. I miss my son. I won’t see him again. He was a good kid. Loving. He was a dancer, athlete, always witty, (and) funny.”

Hezekiah’s cousin, Sierra Gilliem, shared fond memories of the young victim, saying, “He always wanted to play (and) dance. He was just full of love, and he showed it.”

As the investigation into Hezekiah Bernard’s tragic death continues, authorities are working diligently to determine the exact location of the incident and uncover any possible motives behind the alleged murder. Law enforcement has also reached out to the public for assistance in gathering more information. As of now, no arrests have been made, and the community awaits further details.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51ktabGxKSgmqBdl7KzusCrm2aclZbBqXnTq5igoZNisaq%2FwqitnqqpYn5zediemKtln6GxbrLOrqWdZZSarqV5yKdkna2dpcC1sdFmoKdlp5rAtXnPoaClmZSaubG0yJpm